Monday, June 11, 2012

Oh Canada!


(5/10) Once again I have a bright idea, this time it requires passports though.  My awesome travel partner, Mari, and I headed north for the border on our way to watch the Canada East regional.  The drive was boring in the dark and the only excitement along the way was teasing some couple as they came out of bathroom together at a local Erie, PA establishment.  We made it about 20 min past the falls before we called it and crashed for the night.  Our Crossfit adventures would begin in the morning!

(5/11) We got up early and headed out to our first box of the day, CF Niagra (247) in St. Catherine’s, ONT.  It wasn’t a giant box, but it definitely had character.  The small class of about 6 started off strong with a 3-3-3-1-1-1 of OHS.  I had kilo’s so I wasn’t gonna be sure exactly what I was gonna be lifting.  60k-90k-95k-100k-106k-111k were the lifts and I did PR @ 111k(2x) which is about 245#.  Then on to our WOD of 10-1 KB Swings (53) and Burpees.  It was kinda quick, 5:40, but everyone seemed to get a great workout from it.  We had a really good time and the trainer was really cool with not trying to over coach the group.  Even though I didn’t get to meet the owners, they were great to work with in arranging the visit.  Thanks for everything, definitely a fun experience.


After going back to the hotel, showering, and getting back on the road, we finally hit Toronto.  Our first box choice was closed for the afternoon, so we made our way to The Academy of Lion CF (248) in Toronto, ONT. Now I was friends with the owner, Dhani, via Facebook, but didn’t really realize it till I was there.  He was super cool and went against his normal call ahead rule and let us get nasty with his noon class.  We had two options for our WOD: 5rds of KB swings, OHS, and Dips or 3rds heavy KB swings, OHS, and weighted dips.  Mari went 5, I chose 3.  3rds of 25KB swings @ 2p, 15 OHS @ 165, and 10 dips with a 12k KB.  I wasn’t last, but I wasn’t 1st either.  I put up a solid 19:10, but it took its toll!  I was beat up but it was a blast.  AoL with amazing and the new spot is gonna be insane when it’s all said and done.  I would go back to AoL in a moment’s notice, besides Dhani and me are both good friends of Syn, so it’s gotta be a good spot. They actually used my orange Inov8 in their photos for the shoe display.  AoL was a totally great box in an up and coming area with great trainers.  Love it, Love it, Love it.  Thanks Again!


After doing handstands at CN Tower, we headed to over to our last box of the day, Reebok CF Liberty Village (249) in Toronto, ONT.  This was our 1st choice of Toronto but was closed for the afternoon since trainer Matt was competing (2nd place overall and games bound) at the regional event.  The coaches were really smart and really welcoming into their facility.  It was very Reebok® but it was expected.  After a quick skill review of the hang power clean, we hit the WOD of 10-8-6-4-2 T95# Thrusters, T2B and 200m run.  I surprising had a more in the tank and finished 2nd in class and 4th overall in 8:53.  It was a very leg demanding work out, if I do say so myself.  RCLV was a fun box, that was full of drop ins who were out to kill it.  We all had a great time and really enjoyed ourselves.  They were super nice and the box was super clean and even had showers.  Thanks for having us, it was worth the 3rd WOD to add you to the list. 


(5/12) Now after a good night’s rest, we took our friend Cougar to CF Quantum (250) in Toronto, ONT. It was around the corner from her house, so she figured on giving it a go.  The first half of class we did what we needed to do.  They had a rotational strength cycle, so everyone was a bit different.  I decided to snatch a 3-3-3-2-1-1.  95, 145, 165, 185, 205(PR), & 210(No Rep) I got a PR, YEAH!  I say no rep cuz it landed on my head, and I pressed it out. Then we all headed out side for a lil Death by 10m starting at 5.  We all did great, Laura got thru 12, Mari kept up with the boys hitting 15, and my dumb ass had to finish 17 and 15m short of 18 by his self.  We had fun and I think Laura may even join CFQ.  Thanks again for a fun Saturday morning. 



No more WODs today, just Canada East Regional action!



(5/13) Now it time to go back to the states, but I couldn’t leave the country without meeting Kat L. A well know hot chick and an all around CF Bad Kat.  She was teaching a class at CF Bolton (251) in Bolton, ONT.  We left an hour early to get there, it took us almost 2 to get there.  Accidents, fatalities and bad directions all played part but we made it in time to warm up and hit “Jag 28”  It was tough, I smashed my finger, but we all finished and we all ran the last persons lap together.  There was a totally great sense of team there.  We took a few pics for Syn and Afro Brutality, showered, hugged, and then headed home.  CF Bolton was a fun box and I’m glad we finally made it.  Thanks for a great time Bad Kat and I’m looking forward to seeing you at the end of June.



Well that was Canada.  It was fun and exhausting!  I can’t wait to do it all over again.  Till next trip…..I mean next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! Someday would love to join you on one of these. :)

    ReplyDelete