Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oyster Point, New CF Love and a Trip Over A Mountain...Literally!

(5/16) So I ended up back in the Tidewater area after only being gone for like 4 days.  This time I got scared of the tunnel and never left the Peninsula. If your from there you know what I mean, if not sorry.  So anyway, after a pretty full day of work, I headed to CrossFit Oyster Point (119) in Newport News, VA.  After some introductions and the standard waiver signings, I hit the warm up.  Now on to the WOD:
5 Rds of 5 Push Press @ 80% PR (195) & 30 Double Unders with 2 min Rest between rounds. I finished in relatively descent time, I think just over 15min or so.
(5/17) So I figured I'd come back for a second round but this time I brought my good friend Eric Sanborn with me.  He is a newly retired MSGT from the Air Force and wanted to not keep getting fat since his military career ended.  I knew what I was in store for coming into this WOD, as for Eric I was unsure.  I had the undaunting task of taking on "300", Eric on the other hand was handed "Baseline".  I think it turned into a race between us.  Baseline is a "toe in the water" of what CrossFit is (500m Row, 40 Squats, 30 Sit ups, 20 Push Ups and 10 Pull Ups)  where 300 is something that can be grueling to even an experienced athlete. 
300 - 18:45  Baseline - 14:00+  Eric took a while to recover but I think he will be back.  I had a great time and a super experience here at CF Oyster Point and I'll totally be back and hope Eric stays with it. Thanks Jim Koske and all your crew for all your hospitality and keep it up!

(5/23)  When I say Over A Mountain I wasn't kidding.  Seriously, I went over two mountains to get to CrossFit Jackson Hole (120).  This was one of these spur of the morning ideas that sometimes gets me in trouble but usually turn out to be great experiences and it totally lived up to it.  After some emails and getting work and logistics ironed out, off I went.  The views were amazing, the drive was pretty simple and I even saw a moose!  I showed a little early not know how long it would take and here is what I stared at as the 430 class finished up.
This was totally the most amazing view I've ever seen out the front door of a box.  So now after the most extensive and amusing intro ever, we got started. Coach Ryan Hudson fills as much you can possibly imagine into 1 hr of time:
Rd 1: Stretching and Mobility Work 
Rd 2: Tabata Lateral Jumps (23)
Rd 3: Split Jerk Review
Rd 4: Split Jerks 3-3-2-2-1-1
Rd 5: "Annie"

Rounds 1-3 are cut and dry so I don't have to explain them, but I will jump straight to Rd 4.  Split Jerks! We went guys on one platform, girls on the other.  One by One went and got to watch everyone go and cheered as we hit amazing lifts.  I think everyone hit a PR during this round, including myself @ 115kg/253#. Thanks Ryan for not letting me do conversions and just lifting colors.  Now on to "Annie" where I had a PR at 6:45.  This time it was personal since I haven't really done double unders since Wod 11.1 and the concussion.  I did great with a 5:41 but what was better to see was Tina and Liz battle thru double unders, some one at a time.  This was a great time and so worth the drive. Thanks Tina, Elisabeth, Liz, & Anthony for making me feel like part of the team and thank you Ryan for fitting me in.  Your box is totally amazing and I think you may have the best bathroom ever!  Good Luck at Regionals and I look forward to coming back when I can. 

(5/24) I did get to revisit Shane and Maltese CF for some snatch grip deadlift 3x3x3x3x3 (135,225,275,295,295).  Then a fun wod of 6rds of 10 K2E and 20 24" Box Jumps.  I finished in 11:06, that was good for me since I hate box jumps.  I even stuck around for a 4-3-2-1-1 of front squats.  (135,225,275,305,325) Hope your recovery process is a good one and good luck on the move...next door.

I was also lucky enough to visit (CF) YMCA Idaho Falls (121). There was no actual class since they only have two classes a week but being resourceful I found the weight room.  They had a few bumpers so I put together a quick 3rd 5 Power Cleans (135#), 5 Dips, & 5 GHD Sit Ups (3:01). I know it's not a lot but it was like wod 4 in 2 hours. 


Back home I go tomorrow, for 2 days this time then off to DC for memorial day and maybe a little Murph...

No comments:

Post a Comment